3.21.2011

Which side would you've been on?

  Once our class concluded the World War One unit, we talked about the Treaty of Versailles and how it effected the European countries at that time and whether or not it was fair. I personally thought it was a pretty fair treaty, however there were a few parts that I thought could've been left out. I understand that the Allies, especially France, was furious and just wanted revenge from Germany. Their time came and they did that through the Treaty of Versailles. On it there were many parts of it that the French thought, "Yeah! Those Germans definitely can't say no to this!" and it was true. With the treaty, some of the people in other countries' governments felt that they had no choice but to make Germany sign it and get it over with. One of those guys was David Lloyd George of Great Britain. A lot of the treaty dealt with making sure that Germany gave back all the land that other countries lost during the war. France was to be given back Alsace-Lorraine and some of their coal mines in the Saar area. They had to give up some of the land that originally belonged to Belgium, Poland, Africa, and even some parts of China. One of the main parts of the treaty was that Germany had to admit that the whole war was their fault.
  Basically, what I am trying to get at is, how would you feel if you were part of the Allies at this time? Even think about what it must have been like to be a German citizen at this time... Would you be okay with the treaty and just say, "Ah, what the heck. Just sign it and get it over with." Or would you have been completely against it and refuse to admit that the whole was your fault? I was thinking about that and I thought that sure, being a German person would've been kind of tough, but also being French would've been awesome because now we got revenge. Which side would you've liked to be on???
 

1 comment:

  1. I would be mad. I mean countries were ruined and literally turned into dust. Germany was part of the war and had to pay for the war. They did many things which were wrong. I don't agree with some parts of the treaty.

    ReplyDelete