How was the war like a "giant catapult shot" that accelerated life beyond any possible prior imagining??
I think for every soldier that was at that war, or any war really, wasn't expecting their experience to be what it was. Soldiers go into war prepared, more physically prepared, but not so much mentally and psychologically. In the episodes of The Pacific that we watched in class, those soldiers were already terrified once they landed on Guadalcanal. They knew what they had to do and got ready for it, but once both sides started attacking each other, it was noticable that it was just so overwhelming to the soldiers. It was more overwhelming and scary for the newer and younger troops, whereas the older troops had to have had some experience in other previous wars like in World War 1 or something. I can imagine how terrifying it must've been for them! You've just been dropped off at an island that almost no one you know has ever heard of, there are trees plants everywhere like a jungle, and the enemy is right in front of you. That definitely is a huge catapult shot-like difference than what they probably had in mind. They were probably so jumpy if they heard a single gunshot or were being sneaked up upon from behind. I defintely give props to them though and I really appreciate that they did sacrifice and still are sacrificing their lives to give us our freedom.
No comments:
Post a Comment