6.07.2011

Me and Korean War veterans!

   Today I was at the library just checking out some books and movies, when I saw a group of  4 or 5 veterans walk out. a few of them had left right away, but as i was leaving, i went up to the ones that were still in the parking lot by their car and thanked them for serving in the war. it was really cool talking to them and finding out what they did. the two veterans that i was talking to fought in the Korean War!! it was so awesome talking to them about it, and I even told them about the World Wars class that i took at Wego :) they thought that was neat! haha They told me that they (including the rest of the veterans that were there) always meet at the Carol Stream Public Library every Tuesday of the month. they also said that if i ever wanted to stop by sometime and talk to them about the wars, that i could. I told them that that would be great and thanked them, however in the back of my mind i thought that it'd be rude of me to barge in on their meetings. but that sure sounds like a cool opportunity!
   After that, i left with a smile on my face :) hopefully they felt the same. i knew that i wanted to thank them before i drove off, but i also didn't want to wierd them out and have them think, "Oh gosh..What does this random teenager want from me?!?".Haha. Looking back though, i'm glad i did it. All of the soldiers that are serving now and the veterans that fought in the past definitely deserve a thank you. They've gone through so much and i realized that most of us tend to take these kinds of things for granted. it's sad to say, but it's true. even at school, i notice less and less students are standing up to to say the Pledge of Alliegance. Now I'm not saying that all the students are disrespectful and mean, but it just seems like the respectful thing to do. [Forgive me if I hurt anyone's feelings...]
   But my point is, we should try to think more about what these soldiers have done for us and our country. if it wasn't for them, i probably wouldn't have the opportunity to go to school, or to live in the nice neighborhood that i live in, or even to be able to type this experience of mine on my blog!
   So, I give a BIG THANKS to the veterans [especially those that are still alive] and to the troops who are out there today. America is a beautiful country and with my experience that i had today with those veterans, it reminds me of how proud I am to be part of it :)
   God bless them and America :)

1 comment:

  1. That's pretty awesome Ariel! You should definitely pop by the library every so often just to say hi to them at least - that's really awesome. I think you make a good point about how little we realize what a lot of past soldiers and current soldiers go through for our freedom. Its a great reminder to see these guys out and about and a fantastic opportunity to be able to talk with them. I hope you are having a great start to your summer and I look forward to reading any other things you may post! Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete