2.21.2011

Written Expressions of WW1 :'(

  Many of the soldiers in war were poets or writers. There were a few that had powerful poems and were later published for others to read. I'm sure many people have been moved by the poetry that these men wrote. One of my favorite war poets that we learned about was Siegfried Sassoon. He was part of the British military and was even friends with fellow soldier/poet/writer, Wilfred Owen. Siegfried had several popular poems such as: Dreamers, Glory of WomenEveryone Sang, and Suicide in Trenches. During our class this past week, we were to read the poems of the war poets, especially this guy's, and then try to figure out the hidden message. The poem that really got to me was Dreamers. I read it and read it and later tried figuring out what exactly it was that Siegfried was trying to get at us. This is what I came up with: Siegfried wants us to realize that even though all of those men that were in battlefields trying to kill their enemies, in the back of their minds, they were really wondering about life back at their home. And how great it'd be once the fighting was all over and get the chance to see their family again. But little did they know that their lives would soon end. It was pretty sad to read that poem and think that what those men went through still goes on today with the men and women overseas. The people back at home tend to root for their soldiers and get all excited about them being the heros and heroines, yet once those lives are done, everyones' feelings change. Whether or not a soldier is super eager or terribly frightened to go to war, they still have that part in them that longs to be happy and enjoy life without all the nasty wars going on. They still do dream and they do that the whole time.

My Question: What do you think is the hidden message for this poem? Or if you were a war poet, what specifically would you have liked to write about or express and why??

1 comment:

  1. I’m not exactly sure what To Any Dead Officer means. I’m guessing that it’s about Sassoon asking any dead officer to talk about him to God so that when he dies, he’ll already have a place in heaven. I also think that when he says, “Somehow I always thought you'd get done in, Because you were so desperate keen to live,” he kind of means that you were so desperate to live, you had to die. Like the more you want something, the less chance you’ll get it.

    ReplyDelete